Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Voting is the most important way to have a voice in what happens in our government. The 2020 United States Presidential and Congressional Elections are on Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020.
Check your voter registration status:
- If you live in Hidalgo County, you can check your voter registration status here.
- If you live elsewhere in Texas (not Hidalgo County), you can check your voter registration status here.
- If you live anywhere else in the country, you can check your voter registration status here. If you are not registered, look for the registration application on your Secretary of State's website.
Find the Voter Registration Application:
- If you live in Hidalgo County and are not registered to vote, you can find the Texas Voter Registration Application here.
- If you live elsewhere in Texas (not Hidalgo County) and are not registered to vote, you can find the Texas Voter Registration Application here.
- We also have pre-stamped and pre-addressed Texas Voter Registration Applications (in English and Spanish) at the McAllen Public Library.
What happens on the Primary and General Election dates?
- In the Primary Election, you vote for the candidate that you want to represent your political party in the later General Election.
- In the General Election, you vote from the primary winners for the people who will become our next President, Senators, and Representatives.
- You can vote for different political parties in the Primary and General Elections. You are not committed to voting for the same party in the General Election that you voted for in the Primary Election.
What do I need to bring to vote on Election Day?
- If you are registered to vote, you do not need to bring your Voter Registration Card. The poll workers can look you up in the system. But according to Texas state law, you do need to bring identification. Please see this page for the accepted forms of identification: https://www.hidalgocounty.us/1494/Voter-ID.
Where do I vote?
- If you are registered to vote in Hidalgo County, you can find your Early Voting locations here and your Election Day voting locations here.
- The 2020 Texas Primary Election is on Tuesday, March 3rd.
- The deadline to register to vote in the primary election is Monday, February 3rd, 2020.
- Early voting is from Tuesday, February 18 - Friday, February 28.
- The 2020 General Election is on Tuesday, November 3rd.
- The deadline to register to vote in the general election is Monday, October 5th, 2020.
- The last day to apply for a ballot to vote by mail is Friday, October 23rd, 2020. The application must be received (not just postmarked) by this day. You can find the application and requirements for voting by mail here.
- Early voting is from Tuesday, October 13 - Friday, October 30.
The entire Election Schedule can be found here.
Digital Services Librarian